Today during my tutoring shift, I encountered someone who seemed to be lacking what I think are essentials to any college student, especially one taking science classes. I was just curious to know if other people know these things, so I am going to give you a little test. Just leave your answers in the comments, and I will give you the answers and results in the next post.
Please answer these questions with no help, so I will have accurate results - Closed notes, closed book, closed search engine (Don't use google). I suppose you can use a calculator.
1. What is the acceleration of gravity on Earth, also called g?
2. Solve for x:
12 = 0.5x + 4
3. If you have an equation in which one side has the square root of x, what must you do to the equation to find x? example:
5 = sqrt(x) (Imagine the sqrt is the little number house thing)
4. If you are driving to your Auntie's house in Bethany (or Piedmont), how long will it take to get there if you are driving 35 mph (The roads are icy, and she has your supply of chocolate)? At the beginning of your one-way trip, the odometer reads 153,243 miles, and at the end it reads 153,267 miles. Assume you don't have to stop or change speeds. Please report your time in minutes and hours.
5. You and your family are soaking up the sun on a beach in Mexico, and you get to wondering... You know if you went out into the water, you would be on the continental shelf and that the water is about 180m deep. If an ocean wave is a deep wave if the water depth is greater than 1/2 the wavelength, and it is a shallow wave if the water depth is less than 1/20 the wavelength, is a wind wave with a wavelength of 20 m a deep or shallow wave? What about a tsunami wave with a wavelength of 300m?
6 comments:
Its not that I cant do that, its more I'm too lazy. the square root one you just put it to the power of 2. you square it. cancels out the square root.
I'm an English major. Are you kidding?
1. Gravity accelerates? g=what happens when you fall off a ladder. The taller the ladder, the higher the g. (There is a direct correlation between g and your hospital bill.)
2. 4
3. multiply both sides by x squared
4. 14 minutes
5.deep, shallow
OK, seriously darlin' I can diagram a sentence. Does that count?
1. Gravity accelerates? Cool!
2. x=16?
3. square whats on the other side of the = sign?
4. Starting to hyperventilate and have flashbacks to 4th grade math. I cried through most of 4th grade.
5. WTF? (as in Fuzzie)
1. That depends, has the falling object reached terminal velocity?
2. 16
3. Square both sides
4. ummm... .69 hours or 41 minutes... except that when you factor in the chocolate thing the 35mph becomes an impossibility, leaving you with some sort of paradox (or a hole in the time-space continuum)
5. I got distracted by the thoughts of beach... and then a tsunami came and wiped out my imaginary beach. Stupid tsunami
1) Gravity is the only thing that keeps me from flying, but its handy when I want to land.
32.2
2) 16
3) square them all x=25, I thought it was a diving board?
4) 41 minutes 8.6 seconds
5) Deep and Deep (but in a more shallow way)
Do I get into college?
uncle John.
1. About 9.79 m/s^2
2. 16
3. square both sides
4. 24/35 hours or 60*(24/35) minutes
5. Wind wave is shallow, tsunami wave is deep
Post a Comment