Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tomatoes

One of my few vivid memories of my great grandfather Metz, from whom I inherited the Metz Nose, is of him showing us his tomatoes in his and Grandma's backyard in Olathe, Kansas. As a kid, I remember thinking "cool..... tomatoes....", knowing there was ice cream on the table inside waiting for us, wanting to get on with it. He showed us those tomatoes every single time we went there.

Now I am growing tomatoes on my back porch, and I snag innocent passers-by and say "come look at my tomatoes!" Of all the plants I tried growing this summer, the tomatoes are really the only ones who survived from seed to fruit. I planted the seeds in early May and they are finally growing things!





I have two varieties of cherry tomatoes, on three different plants. The tallest one stands at a lanky 5 feet tall, and they have pretty little yellow flowers until they turn into tomatoes. Hey Grandpa, come look at my tomatoes!