Thursday, March 5, 2009

Neuroses




During my shift in the Geology tutoring room on Monday, a girl came in for help with homework. She had completed most of it already, in black pen. She then picked up a blue pen and continued writing. When it came time to graph, she dug out her pencil. What the heck. How am I supposed to concentrate on helping when the words are in different colors/media?! I absolutely have to have pens of the same color in my bag, or I get distracted.

Because its 12:40 and I am exhausted but had coffee not long ago, I took pictures of my lab-notebook neuroses. And of my non-neurotic cleaning habits.

Figure 1: Neatly drawn data compartments. Ruler was used. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.


Figure 2: More compartments, but the bottom set had too many columns, not acceptable.

Figure 3: Non-OCD habits. Please note the ingeniously designed desk. Yep, low budget. It works. Mom, please resist thinking "get your shoes out of the middle of the floor! Are ya tryin to kill me?" Even though they are, technically, in the middle of the room.

Figure 4: This is how I will be in approximately 4.7 seconds. After I remove the backpack. Go ahead and say it, I'm a freak of nature.

Goodnight all.

5 comments:

Mark said...

I LOVE the notebook boxes! For me it's Excel spreadsheets. If you can't do it in excel then why even do it??? Nice neat columns, ALL formatted correctly and aligned properly. What I can't figure out is why I'm way more neat at home than at work? I like the bed made, clothes picked up, car very tidy, everything in neat little piles at the least. But at work my desk is always a mess. What the heck??? Some people must have missed out on our gene........ Poor Things!

Stephen said...

It all seems perfectly normal to me. And I'm not weird...really.

Shari said...

Maybe if you didn't carry that back pack around your back wouldn't hurt. I'm just telling it like the Mom.

I wonder if room cleaning is on the right side of the brain, and data gathering is on the left, and the synapses on the right are electrically disfunctional.

Extreme Educators said...

Dad's not exaggerating about excel. He makes us charts when we go on trips to show us how far we have gone, how far til the end of our journey, how far til the next major city, approximately what fraction of the distance we have covered, etc. It's hard core. When I turn things into graphs at school the other teachers look at me like I can do magic. Also, I abhor clutter, and yet my desk is consistently scary. It leads to me wandering around the room searching for lost items and children following me because I have forgotten that I told them I would get something for them, so I finally turn around and give them the "what do you want?" look and they timidly remind me that I was getting a spelling paper for them... Wow, I ramble...

Stephen said...

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3fefdu1P0o